Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Litespeed Archon T1



So what are my thoughts on the new Litespeed Archon? I don't want to spoil the ending but after my 2nd test ride I wanted one. Last week the president of American Bicycle Group visited the area and brought a few of the new bikes they are offering down with him. As mentioned I had the privilege to pilot one down Longboat Key and subsequently San Antonio. To say I was extremely impressed would be an understatement and each ride seems to be getting better as I dial in my position and get to know the bike a bit better. While no bike is perfect, this one isn't to far off if you ride for the same reasons I do and expect the same things I do out of a high-end frame. I will point out what I feel are the pros and cons and hopefully give you an idea of what to expect if you happen to take one out yourself. I am going to review this frame "Iron Chef" style using 3 categories. Those categories being 1. Ride Quality (Taste) 2. Appearance (Plating) 3. Functionality (Originality)

So what does a Litespeed Archon Taste Like? If I had to choose a food that this bike reminded me of I would have to go with the best dish on the planet.... a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Why might you ask would I pick the PB&J? Like the PB&J sandwich has the perfect blend of sweetness and saltiness, the Archon embodies the best ride characteristics of steel married with that of carbon. On one hand the frame has the lively feel of a quality steel frame but also has the stiffness and low weight of a high-end carbon frame. I threw everything I had at the Archon and it just kept smiling back at me. I was extremely pleased with the stiffness of the frame given some of the stiffness issues titanium has had in the past. The engineers at Litespeed had said that the stiffness to weight ratios they have achieved with the Archon were once though unattainable. I can see why they said that. Climbing out of the saddle and sprinting all-out was no problem. There was little to zero lateral flex I noticed and I actually felt better climbing on this than my Tarmac.... which was quite a surprise considering the Tarmac is one of the stiffest out there. Another thing I noticed about the frame is how comfortable it was over a 4-hour ride in the hills. I never once felt as if I was being beat-up or the frame was so stiff I was going to pay for it the next morning. The frame paired with the Easton EC90 SL fork was one of the smoothest riding combos I can remember riding.

On to appearance. The first thing I noticed about the new Archon was the HOT new paint that Litespeed is offering on some of their new frames. I never would have thought that I'd prefer a painted Ti frame over an unpainted one but Litespeed has added just enough color to the Archon that it looks perfect. Like the ride, the paint finish on the frame is well balanced between the smooth look of Ti and the color of paint. The one I rode was a blue one and blue just so happens to be my fav color. Apart from the paint I noticed the angular shape of the top and down tubes which resemble some of the tube shapes you might find on a Ridley, but a bit more subdued. The tubing is not too big, not too small. I personally pedal a bit knee in and I usually smack the top tube with my knees but I had no issues with this frame. Another noticeable part of the frame is how the top and down tubes are welded to the sides of the head tube, which I was told was done to add stiffness...I would have to say it works quite well.

One problem plaguing many new high-end bikes today is there lack of practicality of functionality. So many times I have been working on a new bike and just assembling the thing is a nightmare. From internal cable routing that doesn't work to integrated seat posts that prohibit riders from test rides, some bikes look cool and advertise these cutting edge features, but don't quite deliver in terms how great they really function. The Archon is as straightforward as frames come, but at the same time has the edginess of some of the most exotic frames on the market. It is a breeze to build and is just as predictable when riding. Cable adjusters are where you'd expect and on-the-fly tweaking is no problem. The Archon is a fully functional, fully dependable, and fully HOT bike all at the same time.

So I hope I have adequately justified my wantingness for one. To close I would have to say that the Litespeed Archon is the most versatile bike I have ever ridden. It wasn't designed to be JUST a climber or JUST a sprinter, but a bike that you could ride hard, or easy, day in a day out without thinking twice about frame performance. It is a workhorse that will tackle whatever you throw at it. To rate this bike I would have to say it is a 5 out 5 on ride quality, a 4.5 out of 5 on appearance with a 1/2 point be deducted because the welding on the head tube isn't as clean as I would like, but hey, I have been riding carbon without welds.... so maybe I'm spoiled. Lastly I would rate the Archon a 5 out of 5 on functionality. If you have any further questions or comments please email me. Cheers, Ryan

3 comments:

Joseph said...

Do you notice any difference between the new Litespeed Archon T1 vs the 2006 Vortex?

Joseph

Double C said...

Thanks for all the great info my friend, I am going with a titanium frame due to my size & I have had my eye on this bike for a while...

Take care,

C2

Nate said...

PB&J? Well anyway, thanks for your comments on the Litespeed Archon. Carbon fiber seems to be a better material as far as bang (lower weight) for your buck, but I can't get over my attraction to Ti!